Two days tour to Kamyanets-Podilskyy (old city and the castle) and Hotyn fortress.
by car -
2250 UAH (up to 3 persons)
by minibus -
2700 UAH (up to 7 persons)
Price includes a car (minibus) with a driver, entrance tickets to the fortresses.
The highlight of the Hotyn region is an ancient majestic city - the fortress of Hotyn.
National memory has kept many beautiful legends about a history of this land. One of them tells that during old times malicious conquerors surrounded a powerful fortress. Defenders repeatedly beat off attacks, but forces were unequal and enemies finally taken a fortress. They grasped the daughter of the commandant. However the girl did not want to obey aggressors and those after inhuman mockeries have immured her in a wall of a fortress. Till now on this place it is possible to see images of a Turkish jug for water and a wet stain from tears of the girl. And almost every spring night she leaves a wall and calls the father and the groom who were lost in fight, and waters with tears the native ground which gives generous crops, the rivers and lakes with water. This sad and lyrical legend became a basis for a plot of symbols of area.
Kamyanets-Podilsky is about 25km north of the point where Moldova and Romania meet at the Ukrainian border. This old town has stood since at least the 11th century on a sheer-walled rock island carved out of the steppe by a sharp loop in the Smotrych River.
While questions remain as to when the city was first founded, evidence of
local indigenous Ukrainian settlement traces back at least to the 6th
century. Situated on important trade routes, both overland (east-west) and
by water (north-south), the settlement experienced growth. Having survived
the 13th century Mongol invasions, the community continued to prosper
under a variety of different foreign rulers.
With the establishment of the Podillian Roman Catholic bishopric in
Kamianets-Podilsky in 1375, the city became one of Rome's primary bastions
in the East, competing with the influence of Orthodoxy and checking the
spread of Islam (Tartars and later Ottomans). In time, the more
prestigious Catholic religious Orders established monasteries within the
city - including the Dominicans (c. 1370), Franciscans (1400), and the
Discalce Carmelites (1623); the Jesuits established both a mission (1608)
and a college (1610). Yet unlike Western Europe, where Catholic prominence
often brought about religious repressions, both the Ukrainian and the
Armenian Orthodox churches continued to grow and prosper within the city
walls. While religious tolerance would begin to decline by the 17th
century, for three hundred years a spirit of religious toleration was
maintained for the city's three dominant communities (Ukrainian, Polish
The south-western bridge, for centuries the only link between the town and the mainland, is guarded by a nine-towered stone castle that dates from the 16th century. Most of the towers are open to visitors, and many offer great views of the town and the surrounding countryside.
These massive fortifications impressed not only travelers and merchants who came to visit the city. According to local legend, the Turkish Khan Osman allegedly asked "who built this mighty city?" An underling is said to have replied "God Himself". Upon being unable to take the city by storm, the Khan was to have said upon leaving "Then let God Himself take the city". Throughout its long and violent history, the city twice surrendered to those who captured the castle, but the city itself was never taken by storm.